After finishing your national exam thanks to the European system you can easily access with multiples offers in an exchange program.
What is Erasmus?
Erasmus is a university exchange program that allows European students to study in another European country. Thanks to the European credit system, the student can validate his French diploma while discovering a new culture and a new language.
Who can participate in the Erasmus exchange program?
- Students who have completed their first year of university studies. The candidate must be a citizen of one of the countries participating in the program.
- Possessing the status of permanent resident, stateless person or political refugee also gives the right to participate in the program.
What are the administrative procedures for the program?
In order to be able to leave via Erasmus, it is mandatory to contact the head of international relations of your institution. The documents requested when you register for the Erasmus program are as follows:
- A motivation letter
- Letter for scholarship application
- Letter of recommendation from 2 professors
The program is selective, since each country has a quota of students who can go there, and each university can only send a limited number. Thus, the best students will be able to choose their study destination, while the less well standing students will have to target less demanded countries. As places are limited, some of the students will not be able to leave. But luckily, if you are not selected for the program or for the country you are applying for, there is nothing stopping you from registering for the universities yourself, and increasing your chances of success.
What is the duration of my stay abroad?
You have the choice to leave with erasmus for a semester which is a period of 6 months, or a full year. It is more interesting theoretically to leave as long as possible in order to acquire the best language level. Especially since a university year in most countries lasts 9 months. For one semester, the actual period of time on site is very low, most of the time students stay only 4 months, from mid-September to mid-January.
What kind of support is offered under Erasmus?
The various aids proposed and their condition of obtaining:
- The Erasmus Community Grant is an incentive for erasmus students only. The attribution is not automatic and depends on the balance to ensure between the countries and the various study programs, as well as the financial envelope to France. The application for this scholarship must be addressed to your institution.
- An Erasmus supplement and / or a scholarship for student grants may be requested from your university. These 2 grants are financed by the Ministry of National Education, Higher Education and Research.
- Existing aid at the level of local authorities, in particular your regional council and even your general council.
“Thanks to ERASMUS, these few months spent in Turkey have undoubtedly changed my vision of studies and my professional project. It has allowed me to mature, to gain more openness and curiosity, I am no longer afraid to go on new adventures on my own, and I am looking more and more at my future in a foreign country. ” says Mounia, 22 years old, who is gone at the beginning of 2013 at Galatasaray University in Istanbul (Turkey).
-By Luna Z.